HIS geo-enabling toolkit
The HIS geo-enabling toolkit describes the steps to be implemented in order to geo-enable the in-country Health Information System (HIS). It has been developed to support the health sector to fully benefit from the power of geography, geospatial data and technologies.
The content of this toolkit builds on the experience gained through the implementation of the HIS geo-enabling process in Cambodia, Myanmar, and Vietnam, thanks to ADB’s support. It also greatly benefited from the development and implementation in Myanmar of the joint UNICEF-Health GeoLab Collaborative guidance on the use of geospatial data and technologies in immunization programs (see below).
Guidance to improve the management and use of geospatial data and technologies in health
Building on the material developed by the AeHIN GIS Lab, the Health GeoLab works with partners to develop the following series of guidance aiming at improving the management and use of geospatial data and technologies in health:
- Part 1 – Introduction to the data-information-knowledge management continuum and the geospatial data management cycle
- Part 2 – Implementing the geospatial data management cycle:
- 2.1 Documenting the process and defining the data needs
- 2.2 Defining the vocabulary, the data set specifications and the ground reference
- 2.3 Compiling existing data and identifying gaps
- 2.4 Creating geospatial data
- 2.4.1 Extracting data from other sources
- 2.4.2: Collecting data in the field
- 2.5 Cleaning, validating and documenting the data
- 2.6 Distributing, using and updating the data
- 2.6.1 Creating good thematic maps using desktop GIS software
- 2.6.2 Developing and implementing the appropriate data policy
The AeHIN GIS Lab also contributed to the development of the following guidance material:
- Guidance on the Use of Geospatial Data and Technologies in Immunization Programs: Overview and Managerial Considerations for In-Country Strengthening
- HIS geo-enabling: Guidance on the establishment of a common geo-registry for the simultaneous hosting, maintenance, update, and sharing of master lists core to public health
The following starter kits have then been developed to help new users to get started with Esri technology:
- ArcMap 10.5 with authorization code starter kit
- ArcGIS Online
- Survey123 for ArcGIS
- Story Maps
- Unlimited access to Esri’s e-Learning
- Migration to ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS Pro Map Series
- ArcGIS Solution Coronavirus Case Dashboard
Reference material to follow
The Health GeoLab Collaborative is currently working on the development of:
- Documents and protocols to help countries in the use of GIS to conduct analyses pertinent to UHC.
These documents will be posted here as well as in the Knowledge Repository as they become available.
All the materials posted here are meant to be living documents and to evolve based on the inputs received from the users. Please therefore don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any suggestions for improvement.
We would also very much like to associate you with these documents in case you are using them as part of your activities. Please contact us at the same email address if this is the case.