The organizational structure of the Health GeoLab Collaborative (HGLC) is kept as simple as possible to avoid administrative burden and cost while ensuring for health sector’s needs and challenges to be addressed through the collective skills, experiences, and resources.
As such, the governance and the operations of the HGLC is ensured through (in green in the above Figure):
1. A steering committee composed of representatives from the health sector in countries (government and partners) and having for function to:
- Defines the strategic direction and membership of the HGLC.
- Prioritizes the activities of the HGLC based on the challenges and needs expressed by the Members.
- Evaluates the work performed by the HGLC Management Office.
- Communicates its discussions and decisions that affect or define the HGLC policies, rules, or positions by making summary reports available to all members of the HGLC.
2. An advisory committee composed of representatives from the other groups of Members and having for function to:
- Makes recommendations and/or provide key information and materials to the in country health sector in general and the Steering Committee in particular
- Serves as liaison and advocate for the HGLC to the community they respectively serve
- Assists in determining activities of importance for the HGLC Members
3. A management office having for function to:
- Help the health sector in countries structure needs and challenges into projects proposals publicizes them and facilitates the selection of the final proposal.
- Team with the following groups to implement the priority actions and activities defined by the steering committee and therefore answer in countries’ health sectors needs and challenges:
- Donors to identify and secure funding
- The private sector to establish Public Private Partnership (PPP) agreements
- The Members of the HGLC to:
- Assesses, advises, and guides the government and partners in countries.
- Develop the reference (guidelines, SOPs,..), advocacy, and training material they need to support the implementation of their programs and ensure an homogenous use of these among the HGLC Members.
- Test Application and methods.The Members of the HGLC to:
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of projects and activities in countries.
- Supports the activities of the HGLC Steering and Advisory Committees.
- Maintains and expand the HGLC membership.
- Maintains and animates the HGLC website, the knowledge repository, the network, and the social media platforms.
- Organize, in collaboration with the hosting institution, the annual HGLC meeting.
The HGLC Bylaws provides more information about the functions and responsibilities of each of these entities.
As of today, only the management office is operational while waiting for the number of members to be big enough to establish the other two entities.